top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy New Year from the Land of the Jobless.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy New Year from the Land of the Jobless.

The last time I was here on the forum, I was grappling with a double=whammy which included being part of a mass layoff on September 20. It took days to fire 61 employees. On the day of my "separation" from the company, I asked them how it felt to layoff so many people, because these were nice women who were just told to do their jobs. The company had been bought out in June. December 30 was the last day for 95 percent of the employees. It is a horrible feeling to know that you gave so much of your time and energy to creating a good product, only to find that you were easily expendable. It is now close to four months and after applying for 60 plus jobs, I have been only able to line up freelance work with the company that took us over. There is one job "under consideration" and that only with the new company. So much for principle. These only came about through some kind of connection. Still plugging away. So much for a fresh start. lolololol.... Thank g-d I had decent severance and was entitled also to take UE benefits. I can survive a little while. Don't want to end up living in a box.....Cross your fingers, pray, think good thoughts....all are greatly appreciated.

Part of the reason I went through BK was because I was unemployed for about a year back in 2008. I hear ya. It took me mentally about a year getting over getting let go and not being able to land work... yeah, depression sucks. I thought I was 100% worthless. I've learned that no job is safe and everyone is really expendable. Recently, our VP of Customer Service just got axed. How sad. I have a decent job again but once in a while, I sometimes remind myself "assume I'll lose my job next week".. and be ready for it if it ever happens again. I hate to live in fear, but we do think differently when life changing events happen to us.

Buyouts are never a good sign. Best case is a few people are shown the door.. and worst case, almost everyone (it seems your company had the worst case). I've seen this at at least 3 different companies I've worked at. But that's business for ya.

All I know is, I thought all was hopeless while unemployed. But that's all changed now. The state of mind is an amazing thing.

At least you were able have a severance package. All I got was 2 weeks pay. I don't know which industry you are in, but I'm in the tech industry. I keep reading things are looking great so far going into 2012. I haven't "looked" around yet, though. I really hope things pick up for everyone looking for work this year. This country needs to get going into the positive direction. It seems this country's been in a recession since 2007 and hasn't recovered hardly at all.. that's 5 years!

Hang in there. Hoping you get something soon.
    Retained Lawyer: 04/2009 Filed: 09/2009 341 Meeting: 10/2009 Discharged: 12/2009 Asset: 05/2010 made asset Closed: 07/2013 after 47 long months

Comment

I feel the same way, "this country's been in a recession since 2007 and hasn't recovered hardly at all" Hubby lost his job in March of 2010, it tok him 13 months to find a contract position paying 35% less and he has been unable to find a direct his job with benefits. He is over 50, very overweight and I think those two things have really gone against him.

I work for a company that just lost their biggest customer in December, and 3 people have been let go since January. its such a scary time that even when you have a job, you still worry if you will have that job tommorow.

Originally posted by CCsAreEvil View Post
      Part of the reason I went through BK was because I was unemployed for about a year back in 2008. I hear ya. It took me mentally about a year getting over getting let go and not being able to land work... yeah, depression sucks. I thought I was 100% worthless. I've learned that no job is safe and everyone is really expendable. Recently, our VP of Customer Service just got axed. How sad. I have a decent job again but once in a while, I sometimes remind myself "assume I'll lose my job next week".. and be ready for it if it ever happens again. I hate to live in fear, but we do think differently when life changing events happen to us.

Buyouts are never a good sign. Best case is a few people are shown the door.. and worst case, almost everyone (it seems your company had the worst case). I've seen this at at least 3 different companies I've worked at. But that's business for ya.

All I know is, I thought all was hopeless while unemployed. But that's all changed now. The state of mind is an amazing thing.

At least you were able have a severance package. All I got was 2 weeks pay. I don't know which industry you are in, but I'm in the tech industry. I keep reading things are looking great so far going into 2012. I haven't "looked" around yet, though. I really hope things pick up for everyone looking for work this year. This country needs to get going into the positive direction. It seems this country's been in a recession since 2007 and hasn't recovered hardly at all.. that's 5 years!

Hang in there. Hoping you get something soon.
      Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X